I remember as a kid my mum would make hot-baked potatoes and I would absolutely go crazy for them! Now as an adult, I still do! However, I need to cook for myself and of course, I have turned the humble baked potato into a delicious mood-boosting meal filled with so much nutritional goodness.
Did you know just how good sweet potatoes are for you? They are filled with so many nutrients and antioxidants that your brain and mood love! This mood-boosting meal is bursting with goodness so let me break it down for you:
Sweet Potato - Let's start with its high vitamin B6 content. B6 actually supports the function of serotonin, our happiness hormone. Sweet potatoes are also super rich in antioxidants such as Vitamin C & Beta-Carotene which reduce oxidative stress, protect against free radicals and reduce inflammation. You will also find a good source of fibre.
Black Beans & Minced Meat - Both great sources of protein. Protein is an essential macronutrient that we require in large amounts to function optimally. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein that are required to produce our all-important neurotransmitters. Maintaining adequate amounts of protein is also essential when it comes to balancing blood sugar levels. Unstable blood sugar levels may result in anxiety.
Avocado - Avo contains tryptophan, folate, omega-3 fatty acids AND it’s chock full of B vitamins, which are tied to stress reduction. Vitamin B6 is a cofactor in the synthesis of neurotransmitters, including dopamine and serotonin.
Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato
Serves 2 | 60-90 minutes
2 sweet potatoes
500g minced meat + 1 tin black beans (alternatively you can keep this vegan and just ad 2x tins of black beans instead)
1 brown onion
1 garlic clove
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp oregano
Yoghurt Tahini Sauce:
1/3 cup Greek yoghurt
1/4 tsp raw honey
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp olive oil
Juice 1/2 lime
1. Preheat oven to 220 Fan forced. Use a fork to poke holes in the sweet potato and wrap each sweet potato in foil and place into the oven to bake for approximately 1 hour. (depending on the size of the sweet potato this will vary)
2. Meanwhile, to make the filling simply sautee the onion and garlic until translucent and add the minced meat. Add the spices and beans and cook until the meat is completely cooked through.
3. Add the avocado, lime juice and salt and pepper to a bowl and mash
4. Mix the Greek yoghurt, cumin, olive oil and lime and season.
5. Prepare all other toppings.
6. Once the sweet potato is cooked through cut it open, mash up the centre and top with all the toppings. Enjoy!
This dish is perfect for a stress-free dinner or weekly meal prep! To watch the full video head over to my Instagram page.
I hope you enjoy this mood-boosting meal! Sending lots of love,