Are you someone who is always rushing out of the door in the mornings with nothing but a coffee in hand?! Did you know that having coffee on an empty stomach can be a recipe for anxiety? Let me spill the beans on why it's important to pair your morning coffee with a balanced breakfast:
- Blood Sugar Rollercoaster: Coffee on an empty stomach can cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels, followed by a crash. This rollercoaster ride can trigger feelings of jitteriness, nervousness, and anxiety.
- Stimulant Overload: Coffee contains caffeine, a powerful stimulant that can increase heart rate and stimulate the nervous system. When consumed without food, it can intensify anxiety symptoms and make you feel on edge.
- Digestive Distress: Coffee has been known to stimulate stomach acid production, which can lead to digestive discomfort, especially when consumed without food. This can add unnecessary stress to your system, exacerbating anxiety.
- Nutritional Neglect: Skipping breakfast and relying solely on coffee deprives your body of the essential nutrients it needs to function optimally. A balanced breakfast provides nourishment and stability, supporting your mental and physical well-being.
So, before you reach for that cup of coffee, make sure to fuel up with a nutritious breakfast. Your mind and body will thank you for it!
Speaking of nutritional breakfast, this mood-boosting meal-prep recipe will fuel your body and mind all morning long! So what makes it so good, you ask? Check the breakdown below:
- Rolled Oats - Rolled oats are rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that helps your brain produce serotonin, the feel-good neurotransmitter. Oats are also packed with essential nutrients like B vitamins, magnesium, and zinc. These nutrients play a crucial role in supporting your nervous system and reducing stress levels. And I can't forget to mention that oats contain soluble fibre that acts as a prebiotic, nourishing the beneficial bacteria in your gut. A happy gut means a happy mind.
- Chia Seeds - Chia seeds are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to support brain health and reduce inflammation. These healthy fats play a crucial role in maintaining optimal mental well-being and can help alleviate anxiety symptoms.
- Cacao Powder - Cacao powder is rich in natural compounds like flavonoids and phenylethylamine (PEA), which promote the release of feel-good neurotransmitters like serotonin and endorphins.
Snickers Overnight Oats
Makes 4 Jars | 10min prep - overnight
1 cup instant rolled oats
4 tbsp cacao powder
4 tbsp chia seeds
2 tsp pure maple syrup
4 tsp natural peanut butter
optional to add extra nuts & seeds of choice
2 cups of almond milk (or milk of choice)
Evenly distribute the ingredients across all 4 jars. Screw the lid on tightly and give it a good shake to mix well.
Place into the fridge to set overnight. In the morning, it is optional to top the overnight oats with fresh fruit, nuts & seeds or more peanut butter!